Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Thursday, September 19, 2024 - WE’RE ALL SINNERS

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, September 19, 2024 - Day 263 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Eccles. 7-9 2 Cor. 11:1-15)

WE’RE ALL SINNERS

“Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.” (Ecclesiastes 7:20 ESV) 

“What do you call a sin?” That was the response I received from a lady many years ago when I stated that all people are sinners. 

What is sin? “Sin is every thought, desire, word and deed which is contrary to God’s Law.” (Luther’s Small Catechism, CPH, 1986, page 98)

While that lady needed to hear that she was a sinner, she also needed to hear of the glorious hope that God has for all sinners who repent and believe.

“For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV) 

Jesus, the holy, innocent Son of God, took your sins and mine to the cross and paid for every one of them!

The hymn write wrote a perfect prayer for all who acknowledge their sinfulness and there desperate need for a Savior, our dear Lord Jesus. Each stanza begins with the prayer that Jesus would remember you (Lord Jesus, think on me). 

1. Lord Jesus, think on me
   And purge away my sin;
   From worldly passions set me free
   And make me pure within.

2. Lord Jesus, think on me,
   By anxious thoughts oppressed;
   Let me Your loving servant be
   And taste Your promised rest.

3. Lord Jesus, think on me
   Amid the battle's strife;
   In all my pain and misery
   O be my health and life.

4. Lord Jesus, think on me
   Nor let me go astray;
   Through darkness and perplexity
   Point out Your chosen way.

5. Lord Jesus, think on me
   That, when this life is past,
   I may th'eternal brightness see
   And share Your joy at last.
   (“Lord Jesus, Think on me,” LSB 910)

O almighty God, merciful Father, I know that I am a poor, miserable sinner. I heartily repent of my sins. Thank You for sending Jesus to shed His holy, precious blood to redeem me and make me Yours forever. Lord Jesus, please remember me today and in eternity. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment