Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Thursday, July 25, 2024 - CONVINCED AND CONFIDENT


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, July 25, 2024 - Day 207 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Psalm 47-49; Acts 26)

CONVINCED AND CONFIDENT
 
And as he was saying these things in his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, “Paul, you are out of your mind; your great learning is driving you out of your mind.” But Paul said, “I am not out of my mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking true and rational words.  (Acts 26:24-25 ESV)  

Paul has just told Governor Festus and King Agrippa “that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.” To which Festus replies, “Paul, you are out of your mind.”

There are those today who still call us Christians “crazy.” We are not out of our minds. We know the truth of new life in Jesus for all who repent and believe. We are not crazy. We are convinced, just like Paul:

“But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.” (2 Timothy 1:12 ESV)

The hymn writer talked about Christians being confident and confident with these words:

   1. Jesus lives! The victory’s won!  
Death no longer can appall me;
Jesus lives! Death’s reign is done!  
From the grave Christ will recall me.
Brighter scenes will then commence; 
This shall be my confidence.

   2. Jesus lives! To him the throne 
There above all things is given.
I shall go where He is gone, 
Live and reign with Him in heaven.
God is faithful; doubtings, hence! 
This shall be my confidence.

   3. Jesus lives! For me He died, 
Hence will I, to Jesus living,
Pure in heart and act abide, 
Praise to Him and glory giving.
All I need God will dispense; 
This shall be my confidence.

   4. Jesus lives! And I am sure 
Neither life nor death shall sever
Me from Him. I shall endure 
In His love, through death, forever.
God will be my sure defense; 
This shall be my confidence.

    5. Jesus lives! And now is death 
But the gate of life immortal;
This shall calm my trembling breath 
When I pass its gloomy portal.
Faith shall cry, as fails each sense: 
Jesus is my confidence!
(Jesus Lives!  The Victory’s Won   LSB490)

Lord, please give me the courage to boldly proclaim the truth of the Gospel. May my life show that I am convinced of Your salvation for all who repent and believe. In Jesus’ name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment