Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Thursday, June 17, 2021 - A PROMISE FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN

 

Day 168 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Nehemiah 4-6; Acts 2:14-47)

A PROMISE FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN

37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.” (Acts  2:37-39 ESV)

The promise of forgiveness and new life in Jesus is at the heart of the Christian faith. These promises of Jesus are meant for all of us:

“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins”

Peter then assures us of the importance of infant Baptism by adding: “For the promise is for you and for your children.”

1. God's own child, I gladly say it: I am baptized into Christ!
He, because I could not pay it, Gave my full redemption price.
Do I need earth's treasures many? I have one worth more than any
That brought me salvation free Lasting to eternity!

2. Sin, disturb my soul no longer: I am baptized into Christ!
I have comfort even stronger: Jesus' cleansing sacrifice.
Should a guilty conscience seize me Since my Baptism did release me
In a dear forgiving flood, Sprinkling me with Jesus' blood!

3. Satan, hear this proclamation: I am baptized into Christ!
Drop your ugly accusation, I am not so soon enticed.
Now that to the font I've traveled, All your might has come unraveled,
And, against your tyranny, God, my Lord, unites with me!

4. Death, you cannot end my gladness: I am baptized into Christ!
When I die, I leave all sadness To inherit paradise!
Though I lie in dust and ashes Faith's assurance brightly flashes:
Baptism has the strength divine To make life immortal mine. 

5. There is nothing worth comparing To this lifelong comfort sure!
Open-eyed my grave is staring: Even there I'll sleep secure.
Though my flesh awaits its raising, Still my soul continues praising:
I am baptized into Christ; I'm a child of paradise! 
(God's Own Child I Gladly Say It   LSB 594)

Thank You, heavenly Father, for Your gracious plan to save sinners from eternal doom by granting complete forgiveness for all who repent and believe. Thank also for the assurance that infants are saved by Baptism. Amen.
Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment