Friday, October 15, 2021

Saturday, October 16, 2021 - HOPE-FILLED GRIEVING

 

Day 289 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Isaiah 59-61; 1 Thess. 4)

HOPE-FILLED GRIEVING
“But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.” (1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 ESV) 

What comfort grieving Christians find in these words of Paul! It is OK to cry when we lose a loved one because we still have hope:
”that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.” 

We miss our loved one, but we also have the peace and comfort that comes from knowing that they are in heaven:
“For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.”

1. Jesus lives!  The victory’s won!  Death no longer can appall me;
Jesus lives!  Death’s reign is done!  From the grave Christ will recall me.
Brighter scenes will then commence; This shall be my confidence.

2. Jesus lives!  To him the throne There above all things is given.
I shall go where He is gone, Live and reign with Him in heaven.
God is faithful; doubtings, hence! This shall be my confidence.

3. Jesus lives!  For me He died, Hence will I, to Jesus living,
Pure in heart and act abide, Praise to Him and glory giving.
All I need God will dispense; This shall be my confidence.

4. Jesus lives!  And I am sure Neither life nor death shall sever
Me from Him. I shall endure In His love, through death, forever.
God will be my sure defense; This shall be my confidence.

5. Jesus lives!  And now is death But the gate of life immortal;
This shall calm my trembling breath When I pass its gloomy portal.
Faith shall cry, as fails each sense: Jesus is my confidence!
(Jesus Lives!  The Victory’s Won, Lutheran Service Book #490)

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your physical resurrection, and Your promise that all who trust in You for forgiveness will also rise again to eternal life. Amen.
Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment