Friday, November 4, 2022

Saturday, November 5, 2022 - THE LORD’S SUPPER


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Day 309 - (Today’s Bible readings: 1 Chronicles 14:1-17; Psalm 118; Mark 14:3-21)

THE LORD’S SUPPER

 And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.  (Mark 14:22-24 ESV)

What a precious gift the Lord instituted on the night when He was betrayed! Maundy Thursday is a blessed stop on our annual Lenten journey, for in, with and under simple bread and wine, the Lord feeds us sinners His very body and blood. 

In my years of service as a pastor, I have observed how deeply God’s people are moved with the forgiveness and the strengthening of their faith that the Lord bestows in this meal.

  O Lord, we praise Thee, bless Thee, and adore Thee,
  In thanksgiving bow before Thee.
  Thou with Thy body and Thy blood didst nourish
  Our weak souls that they may flourish.
  O Lord, have mercy!
  May Thy body, Lord, born of Mary,
  That our sins and sorrows did carry,
  And Thy blood for us plead
  In all trial, fear, and need:
  O Lord, have mercy!
  (O Lord, We Praise Thee, Lutheran Service Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2006, #617)

Lord, may Your body and Your blood be for my soul the highest good. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), undergirds this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:


Then scroll down to 2022 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

1 comment:

  1. When Jesus gave the Lord’s Supper, he quoted Exodus 24:8 as part of the words He used: “This is the blood of the (New) Covenant.” I decided to learn what I could about Exodus 24. A study Bible I have makes the comment (paraphrased from memory) when blood is sprinkled on both the altar (representing God) and the people, the effect according to the custom and understanding of the time is that both are joined in an intimate relationship as blood kinsmen. (Die Berliner Bibel) I looked at the chapter in Hebrew. Two words are used for “sacrifice.” One is the whole burnt offering sacrifice. It is not until it was offered that the elders also approached God. When they all ate and drank in God’s presence, the word indicates a fellowship sacrifice also known as a peace offering from Leviticus 3 (and 7 and 17). In it God and people share a meal. When two parties share a meal in the Ancient Near East, they are bound together in a covenant relationship. God’s portion was the sweet smell rising from the roasting meat of the sacrifice. Ephesians 5:2 mirrors that language in its mention of Jesus. The people ate of the roasted meat. In the Lord’s Supper we feast on the Lamb of God Whose blood takes away the sin of the world.

    ReplyDelete