Friday, September 14, 2018

September 15, 2018 - BY THE BOOK


Day 258 - (Today’s Bible readings: Deuteronomy 28:1-29; Psalm 75; Luke 4:1-13)

If you want to navigate through life successfully, you would do well to do so “by the book.” When I was a boy I enjoyed putting models of ships, planes and cars together. I soon learned that the end result was far better if I assembled them “by the book” ( following the instructions). 

Jesus gives us some clear and practical examples of living “by the book.” 

It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone.” (Luke 4:4 ESV) 

It is written, “You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.” (Luke 4:8 ESV) 

“It is said, You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.” (Luke 4:12 ESV) 

How does the Lord want us to respond to the temptations of life? Jesus has given us the perfect example.... “by the book.” Yes, THE book, the Bible, is the place to go for strength, encouragement, and examples when you are facing temptation, when you are having to make decisions, and when you are looking for God’s answers. 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105 ESV)

Lord Jesus, thank You for showing me how to respond to temptation and trials. Fill me with the desire for the treasures You have for me in the Bible. May I be prepared to face life with Your words: “It is written.” When I fall, reassure me of Your forgiveness for me and for all who repent and believe. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment