Tuesday, May 14, 2019

May 15, 2019 - YOU ARE SPECIAL . . . IN CHRIST


Day 135 - (Today’s Bible readings: Proverbs 24:23-34, Psalm 119:57-64; 1 Peter 3:1-7)

“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.”  (1 Peter 2:9-10 ESV)

In our worship services we state, “I, a poor, miserable sinner, confess unto You all my sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended You and justly deserved Your temporal and eternal punishment.” That does not sounds like we are very special in God’s sight. Yet, right after we make our public confession of sin we get to hear these words: “Upon this your confession, I, by virtue of my office, as a called and ordained servant of the Word, announce the grace of God unto all of you, and in the stead and by the command of my Lord Jesus Christ, I forgive you all your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

The words of Peter become true for us in confession and absolution. We are called out of the darkness of our sin into God’s marvelous light of His forgiveness. We were lost, but God has found us. We have been made God’s people and are showered with His endless mercy. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for making me Yours. I rejoice in Your mercy and grace bestowed upon me through Jesus my Savior. In His name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment