Thursday, November 25, 2021

Monday, November 22, 2021 - Fear and Trembling and PEACE



Day 326 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Ezekiel 27,28; James 4)

Fear and Trembling and PEACE

My heart is in anguish within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me... I would hasten to my place of refuge from the stormy wind and tempest.
   Psalm 55:4-5, 8

These words from King David aptly reflect our mood today as we reflect on the tragic act of an evil person last night in Waukesha. Driving into a Christmas parade and hitting band members, dancing grannies and other defenseless people intent on spreading holiday joy has caused terror and trauma for many in our community and the world that will last for years in the lives of many. Our response is like that of David: “My heart is in anguish within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me.” 

Is there any ray of hope for us today? Verse 8: “I would hasten to my place of refuge from the stormy wind and tempest.” Later in this chapter (Psalm 55:22), he defines our place of refuge this way: "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken."

The Lord Jesus Himself offers us hope with these words:

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Matthew 11: 28 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

John 10:28 “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.”

One of my favorite hymn verses is a prayer that our Lord Jesus would do precisely what He promises to do.

Lord Jesus, who dost love me, 
Oh, spread Thy wings above me 
And shield me from alarm!  
Though evil would assail me, 
Thy mercy will not fail me: 
I rest in Thy protecting arm.
(“Now Rest Beneath Night’s Shadow,” The Lutheran Hymnal #554)

Heavenly Father, we do not understand why this evil tragedy had to happen. What we do understand is Your promise to lead us through times likes this. Please do so for those who lost loved ones last night, and be with those who are hospitalized. In the midst of fear and trembling, grant all of us Your comfort and peace. And let Your holy angels watch over us, our families, our communities and the world so that the wicked foe may have not power over us. In Jesus’ comforting and saving name. Amen.
Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment