Thursday, July 13, 2023

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 - FAITH IN CHRIST - ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 - Day 206  - (Today’s Bible readings: Jeremiah 43; Psalm 24; Acts 26:1-11)

FAITH IN CHRIST - ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

“The Lord could no longer bear your evil deeds and the abominations that you committed.” (Jeremiah 44:22 ESV)

“The Judean refugees who fled to Egypt refuse to give up their idolatry. They are convinced that worshiping false gods brings them peace and prosperity. God cannot tolerate such rebellion. As we see illustrated here, God calls sinners to repent and face His judgment. Sadly, mankind often seeks religions that promise prosperity or personal gratification. These are nothing more than self-centered substitutes for faith. True faith comes only through the faithful proclamation of God’s lasting treasure–eternal life through Jesus.” (Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009, page 12708)

1. Jesus and shall it ever be, 
    A mortal man ashamed of Thee!
    Ashamed of Thee, Whom angels praise,
    Whose glory shines thro' endless days? 

2. Ashamed of Jesus! sooner far,
    Let evening blush to own a star!
    He sheds the beams of light divine
    O'er this benighted soul of mine. 

3. Ashamed of Jesus? Just as soon
    Let midnight be ashamed of noon:
   Tis midnight in my soul till He,
    Bright Morning Star bids darkness flee. 

4. Ashamed of Jesus, That dear Friend
    On whom my hopes of heav'n depend? 
    No; when I blush, be this my shame,
    That I no more revere His Name. 

5. Ashamed of Jesus? Yes I may
    When I've no guilt to wash away,
    No tear to wipe, no good to crave,
    No fear to quell, no soul to save. 

6. Till then, nor is my boasting vain
    Till then, I boast a Savior slain;
    And oh, may this my glory be
    That Christ is not ashamed of me! 
    (“Jesus! And Shall it Ever Be”   The Lutheran Hymnal #346)

Lord, help me resist the substitutes for Jesus that surround me every day. Keep my faith strong in Your promises today and always.  Amen. 
Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment