Wednesday, September 6, 2017

September 7, 2017 - KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT


Day 250 - Proverbs 11-12 & 1 Corinthians 15:33-58

“Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense,
    but a man of understanding remains silent.
Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets,
    but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.”   (Proverbs 11:12-13 ESV) 


Years ago I shared a sermon on this topic. When one of our members was driving home from church, she asked her five year old what the pastor had said that morning. He answered: “I should keep my mouth shut.”

The Eighth Commandment  You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. 
What does this mean?  
We should fear and love God so that we do not tell lies about our neighbor, betray him, slander him, or hurt his reputation, but defend him, speak well of him, and explain everything in the kindest possible way.

Heavenly Father, help me to keep my mouth shut when it comes to gossip and lies. And, when the time is right, open my mouth to defend my neighbor and share Your love. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment