Thursday, August 23, 2018

August 24, 2018 - FOOLS ALL


Day 236 - (Today’s Bible readings: Deuteronomy 7; Psalm 53; John 21:1-19)

1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
    They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity;
    there is none who does good.
3 They have all fallen away;
    together they have become corrupt;
there is none who does good,
    not even one.  (Psalm 53:1&3 ESV)

No one likes to called a fool. Yet this is exactly what the Lord thinks of those who deny that He exists. He then describes what such foolishness produces in one’s life.
All are corrupt.
All have fallen away.
All have become corrupt.
No one does good.

Now we who believe would like to not be included in that list. However, every time we do things, say things, or even think things that do not measure up to God’s commands, we are acting as if we are a god. And that is truly foolish! The sad fact is that ALL people find themselves in this state of rebellion against God. 

Is there any hope for us fools?

Listen to Paul:
18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing... 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 
25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:18-19, 24-25 ESV)

Yes, thanks and glory be to Jesus, your Savior, your only hope!

Glory be to Jesus, 
Who in bitter pains
        Poured for me the life blood 
From his sacred veins!
(“Glory be to Jesus,”  Lutheran Service Book #433)

Heavenly Father, in sinful foolishness I daily attempt to take Your place and live a life filled with sin. Thank You for mercifully sending Jesus to die on the cross in my place and shed His blood in payment for my sins. Help me to show my thanks and praise by sharing You with someone today. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment