Sunday, October 14, 2018

October 15, 2018 - DISAPPOINTMENTS


Day 288 - (Today’s Bible readings: Job 18; Psalm 104:1-18; Luke 12:13-34)

“Then Bildad the Shuhite answered and said:
“How long will you hunt for words? Consider, and then we will speak. Why are we counted as cattle?” (Job 18:1-3 ESV)

Who was the shortest person mentioned in the Bible?  It had to be Bildad, the Shuhite.

Sorry (sort of) for that “bad” pun.  But it does reveal the kind of thinking that plagued Bildad’s advice to his friend Job.  Bildad was guilty of small thinking, the kind most people engage in.  “You must have done something really bad.  So get your act together, and things will be better for you.” What will comfort Job? The answer is the  fact that, regardless of the disappointments of this life, he/we can still 
be patient, 
have faith,
and trust God.

Lord God almighty, I thank You for using the tragedies and disappointments in my life to strengthen my faith and keep me close to You. While I know that my life does bear the marks of my sinfulness, comfort me with the fact that Jesus, and only Jesus, is my way out.  No matter what You call upon me to face today, keep me strong in my trust in Your gifts of forgiveness lavished upon me by Jesus, my Savior, my strength, and my destiny.  Amen.

Pastor David Paape

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment