Saturday, September 21, 2024

Sunday, September 22, 2024 - THE BRIDE OF CHRIST

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Sunday, September 22, 2024 - Day 266 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Song of Sol. 4,5 2 Cor. 13)

THE BRIDE OF CHRIST 

“Behold, you are beautiful, my love, behold, you are beautiful!” (Song of Solomon 4:1 ESV) 

“Like Solomon calling the Shulamite, our Lord calls us to come out of our worldliness and to reside in communion with Him. He calls us holy, beautiful, stainless, pure. He calls us forgiven in His Gospel.” (Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009, page 1072)

Rejoice, fellow Christian! As a member of the Christian Church, the Bride of Christ, you are under the eternal protection of Jesus, the Bridegroom. He died and rose for you. And all who repent and believe are declared holy, beautiful, stainless, pure and heaven-bound. The hymn writer put it this way:

   The Church’s one foundation 
   Is Jesus Christ her Lord;
   She is His new creation 
   By water and the Word:
   From heav’n He came and sought her 
   To be His holy bride;
   With His own blood He bought her, 
   And for her life He died.
   (Lutheran Service Book #644-1)

Dearest Lord Jesus, thank You for saving me by means of Your cross. Thank You for making me a part of the Church, Your bride. May I never forget how much you have blessed me with Your mercy and grace. Amen.

“See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment