Monday, September 30, 2024

Tuesday, October 01, 2024 - JESUS IS THE KEY

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Tuesday, October 01, 2024 - Day 275 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Isaiah 43-44; Colossians 2)

JESUS IS THE KEY

“And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David. He shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.” (Isaiah 22:22 ESV) 

“God’s own people would experience His wrath, for they had lived in ways indistinguishable from the nations. When we do not live lives of repentance, we are also indistinguishable from unbelievers. The living Christ, who descended from the house of David, holds the key of heaven, which He graciously opens for all who believe.” (Lutheran Study Bible, CPH, 2009, page 1125)

1. How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
    In a believer’s ear!
    It soothes our sorrow, heals our wounds,
    And drives away our fear. 

2. It makes the wounded spirit whole,
    And calms the troubled breast;
    ’Tis manna to the hungry soul,
    And to the weary rest. 

3. Dear Name! The Rock on which I build;
    My shield and hiding-place;
    My never-failing treasury, filled
    With boundless stores of grace. 

4. O Jesus, shepherd, guardian, friend,
    My Prophet, Priest, and King;
    My Lord, my life, my way, my end,
    Accept the praise I bring. 

5. How weak the effort of my heart,
    How  cold my warmest thought!
    But when we see Thee as Thou art,
    I’ll praise Thee as I ought. 

6. Till then I would Thy love proclaim
    With every fleeting breath;
    And may the music of The name
    Refresh my soul in death!
    (Lutheran Service Book #524)

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for being the key to my salvation! Thank You for opening to me the rich blessings of Your Word and Sacraments. And thank You for promising to open the gates of heaven to me when my life on this earth comes to an end. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment