Saturday, August 17, 2024

Sunday, August 18, 2024 - LONG LIFE

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Sunday, August 18, 2024 - Day 231 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Psalm 109-111; Romans 16)

LONG LIFE

14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. 15 When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. 16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” (Psalm 91:14-16 ESV)

Today is a very special day for our family. Barb and I are celebrating our 51st wedding anniversary. It would also have been my mother’s 109th birthday. The picture shows her on her 101st birthday surrounded by her great grandchildren. The Lord called her home 

five years ago and the ripe old age of 103!

When you asked her what her secret to long life was, she said: “Eating ice cream every day.” And then she would add: “Trusting the Lord and praying every day.”

The Psalmist is recording how the Lord deals with those who “hold fast to me in love.” He delivers, protects, rescues and grants long life. Mom gave the Lord all of the credit for her long life. Barb and I thank the Lord for our 51 years together as well.

Of course not all of God’s faithful people live to be 103. God’s ultimate promise to those who repent of their sins and believe in Jesus as their Savior is that He will “show him My salvation.” He promises eternal life in heaven to all who “hold fast to Me in love.”

Heavenly Father, thank You for blessing Mom with 103 years of life and for blessing Barb and me with 51 years of marriage. Thank you even more for promising all who repent and believe eternal life. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.

“See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape


No comments:

Post a Comment