Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Wednesday, August 28, 2024 - WHATEVER IT TAKES

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Wednesday, August 28, 2024 - Day 241 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Psalm 132-135; 1 Cor. 8)

WHATEVER IT TAKES
“To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.”   (1 Corinthians 9:22 ESV) 

“As founder of the Corinthian church, and as an apostle, Paul is perceived to have more “rights” than anyone else. Yet he consistently set an example for the Corinthians, encouraging them to put off their own rights in order to serve one another. This is taught and modeled by Jesus Himself. His death and resurrection transform our lives so that we do not seek our own good but the good of others.”  (Lutheran Study Bible, CPH 2009, page 1959)

Yes, we find our divine model of service in Jesus.

1. Lord, whose love in humble service
    Bore the weight of human need,
    Who upon the cross, forsaken,
    Worked Your mercy’s perfect deed:
    We, Your servants, bring the worship
    Not of voice alone, but heart;
    Consecrating to Your purpose
    Ev’ry gift which You impart.

2. Still Your children wander homeless;
    Still the hungry cry for bread;
    Still the captives long for freedom;
    Still in grief we mourn our dead.
    As you, Lord, in deep compassion
    Healed the sick and freed the soul,
    by your Spirit send Your power
    To our world to make it whole.

3. As we worship, grant us vision,
    Till your love’s revealing light
    In its height and depth and greatness
    Dawns upon our quickened sight,
    Making known the needs and burdens
    Your compassion bids us bear,
    Stirring us to ardent service,
    Your abundant life to share.

4. Called by worship to Your service
    Forth in Your dear name we go,
    To the child, the youth, the aged,
    Love in living deeds to show;
    Hope and health, goodwill and comfort,
    Counsel, aid, and peace we give,
    That Your servants, Lord in freedom
    May Your mercy know and live.
    (Lutheran Service Book,#848)

Heavenly Father, thank You for ransoming my soul through Jesus. Please use me to be like Paul, and do whatever it takes to reach others for You. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment