Tuesday, March 7, 2017

March 8, 2017 - HONOR GOD’S NAME


Day 67 - Deuteronomy 5-7 & Mark 12:1-27

“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.”  (Deuteronomy 5:11 ESV)

The Second Commandment is far too easily broken by far too many people.

Swearing by His name and using His name frivolously and carelessly is all around us. I once overheard two older men talking in a gas station. One of them was using the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every other sentence, and he was not praising Jesus. I prayed for the right words--winsome words that would defend the name of our Lord.

“Hey guys, isn’t it great that the One whose name you’re using so carelessly, loves you more than you’ll ever know? May our Lord Jesus bless you both in every way! Have a great day.”

They looked at me in silence, with a quizzical expression on their faces. I don’t know what happened after that, but I continue to pray for their souls.

Perhaps you know of someone who is in the sinful habit of misusing the name of Jesus. 

   ● Pray for them.
   ● Encourage them.
   ● Be a positive example for them.

On the last point, we all need to practice godly responses to adversity. NEVER should we respond to adverse circumstances with expressions calling for the damnation of people or even inanimate objects. Instead...

“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.” (Ephesians 4:29 ESV)

This takes discipline. But even more importantly, it takes faith in almighty God. It takes remembering what Christ did for you on His cross. It takes a desire to honor Him and thank Him with our words, thoughts and actions. Yes, thank God, He forgives us all of our sins.

Heavenly Father, may I honor Your name and the name of Jesus Christ in all that I think, do and say.  As I remember Your great love for me shown in Jesus, may I serve You for the rest of my life. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment