Tuesday, October 31, 2017

November 1, 2017 - THE MAKING OF SAINTS


Day 305 - Jeremiah 31-32 & Titus 2

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with (my people)... I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people... For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jeremiah 29:11 ESV) 

This is All Saints Day, a day set aside to remember our loved ones, and all, who have died in the faith and are now with the Lord. However, the believers in heaven are not the only saints. “Sainthood” does not require a long, drawn out human vetting process. 

“And I will be their God, and they shall be my people”

What it takes is God declaring we are His by means of a new covenant, one that fulfills the demands of the first covenant (be perfect and you will live forever with God).

“For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

The new covenant is all about Jesus and His cross. It is all about sinners made saints through Jesus’ blood and righteousness. It is about God’s unconditional forgiveness of penitent sinners making them/us His saints. Therefore we can sing:

1. For all the saints, who from their labors rest, 
Who Thee by faith before the world confessed,
Thy Name, O Jesus, be forever blessed. Alleluia, Alleluia!

4. O blest communion, fellowship divine!  
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
Yet all are one in Thee, for all are Thine. Alleluia, Alleluia!

8. From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast, 
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son and Holy Ghost: Alleluia, Alleluia!
(For All the Saints, The Lutheran Service Book, CPH, 2006, # 677)

Heavenly Father, thank You for leading me to see the big picture on this day; the countless host, and being one with those are now with You in heaven. Thank You for forgiving my sin and making this sinner another one of Your saints. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment