Monday, December 11, 2017

December 12 ,2017 - AT THE DOOR


Day 346 - Hosea 12-14 & Revelation 3

“Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut... Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:8 & 20 ESV)

The “open door” of verse 8 “symbolizes the Gospel invitation. Those who believe in Jesus enter into eternal life through their faith in Him.... (Verse 20) In this particular case, the image of Christ standing at the door may be related to the parable of the servants whose master is at the wedding feast [Luke 12:35-40]. They are expected to be ready and waiting for him when he appears, with the promise that those servants whom he finds ready will be blessed. “I will come...eat with him,” is best understood as referring to both the Church’s weekly celebrations of the Eucharist and the eternal, messianic banquet in heaven.” (The Lutheran Study Bible, CPH, 2009, pages 2206 and 2207)

The picture included here ties both of these verses together. Jesus is coming to us with His Gospel invitation. He wants to be part of our busy, everyday lives. The point is that we need to notice Him. We need the blessings He imparts in our weekly trips to the Communion table. We need His forgiveness and His gift of faith so that we will be ready when He comes to take us to heaven.
 
Lord Jesus Christ, please keep knocking on the door of my life. May the Holy Spirit keep me in the faith so that my door will always be open to You. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart

No comments:

Post a Comment