Sunday, December 17, 2017

December 18, 2017 - NOW THAT YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION


Day 352 - Jonah & Revelation 9

Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish, saying,
“I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice. For you cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me. . . The waters closed in over me to take my life; the deep surrounded me; weeds were wrapped about my head. . . When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple. . . Salvation belongs to the LORD!” And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land.  (Jonah 2, selected verses)

We are so much like Jonah. We refuse to follow God’s direction for our lives. And then, when He gets our undivided attention, we finally cry out to Him promising to do “it” His way.

“Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
 (Psalm 50:15 ESV)

Can you imaging Jonah’s great relief and joy when, at the Lord’s command, the fish spat him out? How would you respond? Would you do exactly whatever God would tell you to do from that day on?

We would like to say yes to that question. However, again we are like Jonah. We forget and soon are back to our own self-absorbed lifestyle. 

Thank God that the message God had Jonah declare to the Ninevites is meant for us too. God’s Law and judgment are meant to lead us to repent in spiritual sackcloth and ashes. Thank God His answer for us was given on Good Friday as we hear His Son pray on our behalf, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

Heavenly Father, please continue to get my attention. May I be open to the Holy  Spirit’s call to repent and turn to You for forgiveness. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment