Sunday, July 15, 2018

July 16, 2018 - THE HEART OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH


Day 197 - (Today’s Bible readings: Numbers 18:20-32; Psalm 16; John 5:30-47)

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
    and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and uphold me with a willing spirit. (Psalm 51:10-12 ESV) 

The heart of the Christian faith is the gift of complete forgiveness showered freely upon all who repent and see God’s mercy.

John writes of God’s merciful promise this way: 

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-9 ESV)

On Sunday, right after you confess your sins, you will hear these soul-freeing words spoken on God’s behalf by your pastor:

Upon this your confession, I, as a called and ordained servant of the Word, announce the grace of God unto you, and in the stead and by the command of my Lord Jesus Christ, I forgive you all your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. 

Thank You, Lord, for hearing my cry for mercy and for seeing my sincere confession. Your complete forgiveness of all of my sins is the greatest gift You could ever give. Please use me to share this treasure with others. Amen.  

Pastor David Paape

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings form the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless you meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment