Saturday, November 17, 2018

November 18, 2018 - HOW SWEET HE IS


Day 322 - (Today’s Bible readings: Joshua 8:1-29; Psalm 119:97-104; Luke 23:32-43)

How sweet are your words to my taste,
    sweeter than honey to my mouth! (Psalm 119:108 ESV)

The Psalmist, King David, is extolling the precious gift of God’s Word. He describes God’s directions and promises as “sweeter than honey to my mouth!”

We New Testament believers (Christians) agree with David because we can see fully how the entire Bible, Old and New Testaments, all points to Jesus and the soul-saving Gospel of forgiveness for all who repent of their sins and trust in Jesus for forgiveness. The hymn writer expresses this thought in the following “sweet” way:

How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
In a believer’s ear!
It soothes our sorrow, heals our wounds,
And drives away our fear. 

It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the troubled breast;
’Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary rest. 

Dear Name! The Rock on which I build;
My shield and hiding-place;
My never-failing treasury, filled
With boundless stores of grace. 

O Jesus, shepherd, guardian, friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King;
My Lord, my life, my way, my end,
Accept the praise I bring. 

How weak the effort of my heart,
How  cold my warmest thought!
But when we see Thee as Thou art,
I’ll praise Thee as I ought. 

Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath;
And may the music of Thy name
Refresh my soul in death!
(“How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds,” CPH, Lutheran Service Book #524)

Dearest Lord Jesus, Your sacrifice on Calvary’s cross in payment for all of my many sins is truly the sweetest news I have ever heard. Thank You of loving me so much! Please bless me this morning as I hear this good news once again in church. And use me this week to share You with others in some way as I live my life for You. Amen.

“See’ you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment