Saturday, December 8, 2018

December 9 , 2018 - PEACE AND QUIET IN THE LORD


Day 343 - (Today’s Bible readings: Joshua 21:20-45; Psalm 131; Acts 7:35-53)

1 O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
    my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
    too great and too marvelous for me.
2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
    like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, hope in the Lord
    from this time forth and forevermore. (Psalm 131)

David’s humble approach to the life of a believer is marked with intentional calm and peace. This makes sense when, in verse 3, he declares that his hope is in the Lord.

David was king of Israel, the most powerful man in Israel. Yet he did not occupy himself with things beyond his grasp. Instead, his soul knew the peace and quiet that comes from trusting the Lord to lead and guide and bless.

For us New Testament Christians, we know that our spiritual peace and quiet comes from the forgiveness of our sins, the promise that Jesus is with us now, and that He will return soon to take us home to heaven. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for granting me true peace and quiet through Jesus Christ, my Lord and my Savior. Amen.

P.S. “See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment