Thursday, November 28, 2019

November 29, 2019 - Who or what is Lord of your life?

Day 333 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 1:18-31; Psalm 122; 1 Corinthians 12:1-11) 

No one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 21:3b - NIV)

What is most important in your life? Ask the thousands of early-bird customers shopping for bargains this morning and their answer might be a flat screen TV, or an video game, or some super toys for their kids. In other words, getting good deals, and anything else that has to do with making and keeping money.

In today’s reading, Paul is reminding us of the crucial work of the Holy Spirit, namely creating saving faith in the hearts of God’s people. Because we are Christians, we now have an uncommon answer to today’s question. “Jesus is my Lord!”

The Holy Spirit is the key to your faith, as Luther wrote in his Small Catechism:

The Third Article: Sanctification  
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen. 

What does this mean?  
I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. In the same way He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian church He daily and richly forgives all my sins and the sins of all believers. On the Last Day He will raise me and all the dead, and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ. This is most certainly true. 

Holy Spirit, thank You for enlightening me with Your gifts and working saving faith in my heart. Please help me to keep Jesus first in my life and not to be distracted by the things of this life. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment