Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - THE ONLY LASTING FOUNDATION IS JESUS


Day 318 - (Today’s Bible readings: 1 Chronicles 19:10-19; Psalm 119:65-72; 1 Corinthians 3)

For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it (1 Corinthians 3:11-13 ESV)

What is the foundation of your life? Just as a solid foundation is  crucial to a well built house, so a solid spiritual foundation is crucial to a well built life. 

Paul warns us against building on anything or any other person than Jesus Christ. A building with a poor foundation may look fine at first, but the day will come when all comes crashing down. So it is with your life, unless Jesus is your foundation. The hymn writer put it this way:

I know my faith is founded
On Jesus Christ, my God and Lord;
And this my faith confessing,
Unmoved I stand on His sure Word.
Our reason cannot fathom
The truth of God profound;
Who trusts in human wisdom
Relies on shifting ground.
God's Word is all-sufficient,
It makes divinely sure;
And trusting in its wisdom,
My faith shall rest secure.

Increase my faith, dear Savior,
For Satan seeks by night and day
To rob me of this treasure
And take my hope of bliss away.
But, Lord, with You beside me,
I shall be undismayed;
And led by Your good Spirit,
I shall be unafraid.
Abide with me, O Savior,
A firmer faith bestow;
Then I shall bid defiance
To ev'ry evil foe.

In faith, Lord, let me serve You;
Though persecution, grief, and pain
Should seek to overwhelm me,
Let me a steadfast trust retain;
And then at my departure
Lord, take me home to You,
Your riches to inherit
As all You said holds true, 
In life and death, Lord, keep me
Until Your heav'n I gain,
Where I by Your great mercy
The end of faith attain.
(“I Know My Faith Is Founded,” Lutheran Service Book 587)

Lord Jesus, thank You for being the solid foundation for all who believe in You. Please keep my feet safely planted on You so that I may “a steadfast trust retain.” In Your saving name I pray. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment