Monday, November 18, 2019

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 - WALKING IN THE LIGHT


Day 323 - (Today’s Bible readings: 1 Chronicles 23:1-23; Psalm 119:105-112; 1 Corinthians 7:17-24)

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105 ESV)

Are you walking in the light? If so, that means that you are taking seriously the directions God’s gives us for such a walk. Listen to what David says a few verses later in chapter 119.

“Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.” (Psalm 119:165 ESV)

Paul was forced to address those in the Corinthian church who were not walking in the light.
“But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?  God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.” (1 Corinthians 5:11-13 ESV). 

In our permissive anything-goes culture, his pronouncement seems rather harsh. The expulsion of the man living in sexual sin was meant to wake him up and save his soul. It was also meant to encourage the rest of God’s people to take seriously the call to walk in the light and not hide in the dark.

 Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
 When I feel afraid, think I’ve lost my way, still You’re there right beside me,
 And nothing will I fear as long as You are near.  Please be near me to the end.
 Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

  Now I will not forget Your love for me and yet My heart forever is wandering.
 Jesus, be my guide and hold me to Your side, and I will love You to the end.
 Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
 (Thy Word, Text, Amy grant, Tune, Michael W. Smith)

Almighty God, may the light of Your Word be my guiding light. May I daily walk in the light of the cross and so glorify You and be used to draw others to Jesus.  Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment