Saturday, April 28, 2018

April 29, 2018 - AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD


Day 119 - (Today’s Bible readings: Exodus 36:31–37:29; Psalm 110; Mark 9:1-13)

The Lord says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” (Psalm 110:1 ESV)

In today’s reading from Psalm 110, David is giving a prophetic insight into what Jesus is now doing in heaven. The Lord says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” Jesus is seated in the seat of great power and authority at the right hand of His heavenly Father, with our enemies of sin, death and the devil serving in the vanquished role of a footstool. 

“He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty.” So we confess in the second article of the Apostles’ Creed. One of the reasons we Christians declare and confess our faith by means of the three ancient creeds (the Apostles’ Creed, The Nicene Creed and the Athanasian Creed) is that we remember what the Bible teaches us about the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In the second article we focus on Jesus and all that He has done for us poor miserable sinners.

While Jesus is sitting in this position of awesome and complete dominion over the universe, He is thinking of you and your desperate need of divine goodness and mercy. Paul put it this way in his letter to the Romans: “Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.” (Romans 8:34 ESV)

Jesus, the Savior of the whole world, is seated at the right hand of the Father, whispering in His ear on your behalf. He is reminding His Father that, even though you sin greatly every day, you still are His precious child because of your Baptism and the saving faith that God the Holy Spirit has placed in your heart. 

Do you find as much comfort in these words as I do?

The hymn writer gives yet another “right-handed” perspective:

    Therefore I murmur not, Heav'n is my home;
    Whate'er my earthly lot, Heav'n is my home.
    And I shall surely stand There at my Lord's right hand;
    Heav'n is my father-land, Heav'n is my home.
    (I'm But a Stranger Here, Lutheran Service Book, CPH, #748-3)  

I thank You my heavenly Father, that Your Son, my Savior, is seated at Your right hand interceding for me. May the Holy Spirit keep me in the faith so that I may join You in the eternal glories of heaven. To this end, bless me this day as You feed me with Your Word and Sacraments as I worship You in Your house. Amen.


“See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings form the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2018 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless you meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment