Friday, May 28, 2021

Friday, May 28, 2017 - ASLEEP IN JESUS


 
May 28, 2017 - Day 148 - 1 Chronicles 23-25 & John 11:1-17
 
ASLEEP IN JESUS

This is the blog that should have been posted this morning. Poor WIFI in our Wausau hotel was the cause. My apologies for this delay.

After saying these things, he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.” The disciples said to him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” (John 11:11-15 ESV)

Early in my ministry, my wife, Barb, would often sing for funerals. One of the hymns often times chosen by families was Asleep In Jesus, Blessed Sleep. The hymn well parallels the account of the death and resurrection of Lazarus.

“Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.” 

Jesus is setting up the scene for his disciples benefit. His goal is to strengthen their faith in His power over death. Soon they would see that power as He calls Lazarus from the tomb. For Lazarus, it was a brief and undisturbed repose unbroken by the last of foes. Of course, after his first resurrection, he would die again. But once again, his death is only temporary.

This account should give you comfort, for your death will be only temporary too. Jesus promises to raise you to eternal life with Him on the last day.

Asleep in Jesus!  Oh, for me
May such a blissful refuge be!
Securely shall my ashes lie
And wait the summons from on high
(Asleep in Jesus! Blessed Sleep, The Lutheran Hymnal, CPH, 1941, #587)

Lord Jesus, thank You for teaching me not to fear death because You have it under Your complete control. Remind me of Your promise to raise me to eternal life. And then use me to tell others so they, too, do not have to be afraid.  Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning!

Pastor David Paape 

Daily Bible Reading Chart

No comments:

Post a Comment