Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Thursday, August 31, 2023 - HOPE-FILLED GRIEVING


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, August 31, 2023 - Day 243  - (Today’s Bible readings: Esther 8; Psalm 60; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-18)

HOPE-FILLED GRIEVING
“But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.” (1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 ESV) 

What comfort grieving Christians find in these words of Paul! It is ok to cry when we lose a loved one because we still have hope: ”that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.” 

We miss our loved one, but we also have the peace and comfort that comes from knowing that they are in heaven:
“For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.”

1. Asleep in Jesus!  Blessed sleep,
From which none ever wakes to weep;
A calm and undisturbed repose,
Unbroken by the last of foes.

2. Asleep in Jesus!  Oh, how sweet
To be for such a slumber meet,
With holy confidence to sing
That death has lost his venomed sting!

3. Asleep in Jesus!  Peaceful rest,
Whose waking is supremely blest;
No fear, no woe, shall dim that hour
That manifests the Savior’s pow’r

4. Asleep in Jesus!  Oh, for me
May such a blissful refuge be!
Securely shall my ashes lie
And wait the summons from on high.
     (Asleep in Jesus! Blessed Sleep, The Lutheran Hymnal #587)

      youtube link: https://youtu.be/K5Hp0Tt0U0g

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your physical resurrection, and Your promise that all who trust in You for forgiveness will also rise again to eternal life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment