Monday, August 28, 2023

Tuesday, August 29, 2023 - FOLLOW JESUS


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Tuesday, August 29, 2023 - Day 241  - (Today’s Bible readings: Esther 6; Psalm 58; 1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:5)
FOLLOW JESUS

“And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:38-39 ESV)

Everyone likes to win. Jesus makes it very clear that only those who follow Him are winners. And then He makes a most interesting statement:

“Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” 

Is it really true that we win by losing? YES, because when you have Christ, you have EVERYTHING–forgiveness of all your sins and the guarantee of eternal life!

Paul explained the importance of following Jesus this way:
“We are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” (Romans 8:37)

So, obey Jesus, follow Him, and win the crown of eternal life!

    Jesus, I my cross have taken,
    All to leave and follow Thee.
    Destitute, despised, forsaken,
    Thou from hence my All shalt be.
    Perish ev'ry fond ambition,
    All I've sought or hoped or known;
    Yet how rich is my condition!
    God and heav'n are still mine own.
    (“Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken,” The Lutheran Hymnal #423-1)

Lord Jesus, thank You for loving me so much that You died in my place on the cross. Please help me to follow You for the rest of my life. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

No comments:

Post a Comment