Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Wednesday, September 6, 2023 - CHIEF OF SINNERS


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Wednesday, September 6, 2023 - Day 249  - (Today’s Bible readings: Ezekiel 4; Psalm 66; 1 Timothy 1:1-11)

CHIEF OF SINNERS

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.” (1 Timothy 1:15 KJV) 

Paul is celebrating the precious gift that God showers upon all and any who repent of their sins and trust in Jesus for the forgiveness of those sins. The hymn writer captures the essence of this glorious Gospel truth in these soul easing words:

1. Chief of sinners though I be,  
    Shed His blood for me;
    Died that I might live on high, 
    Lives that I might never die.
    As the branch is to the vine, 
    I am His and He is mine.

2. Oh the height of Jesus' love!  
    Higher than the h Balm eav'ns above,
    Deeper than the depths of sea, 
    Lasting as eternity.
    Love that found me -  wondrous thought!  
    Found me when I sought Him not.

3. Only Jesus can impart 
    Balm to heal the wounded heart;
    Peace that flows from sin forgiv'n, 
    Joy that lifts the soul to heav'n;
    Faith and hope to walk with God 
    In the way that Enoch trod.

4. Chief of sinners though I be, 
    Christ is all in all to me;
    All my wants to Him are known, 
    All my sorrows are His own.
    He sustains the hidden life  
    Safe with Him from earthly strife.

5. O my Savior, help afford 
    By Your Spirit and Your Word! 
    When my wayward heart would stray, 
    Keep me in the narrow way; 
    Grace in time of need supply 
    While I live and when I die. Amen.
     (“Chief of Sinners Though I Be,” Lutheran Service Book, CPH 2006, #611)

Pastor David Paape 

No comments:

Post a Comment