Thursday, April 4, 2024

Thursday, April 4, 2024 - LORD, STRENGTHEN ME

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, April 4, 2024 - Day 95 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Judges 15-17; Luke 10:1-24 )

LORD, STRENGTHEN ME

They made him stand between the pillars. And Samson said to the young man who held him by the hand, “Let me feel the pillars on which the house rests, that I may lean against them.” Now the house was full of men and women. All the lords of the Philistines were there, and on the roof there were about 3,000 men and women, who looked on while Samson entertained... Then Samson called to the Lord and said, “O Lord God, please remember me and please strengthen me only this once.”... And Samson grasped the two middle pillars on which the house rested, and he leaned his weight against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other... Then he bowed with all his strength, and the house fell upon the lords and upon all the people who were in it.  (Judges 16:25-30 ESV)

Samson was known for his great strength. At one time, he killed 1,000 Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey. Of course, we all remember how he lost his strength. Delilah tricked him into revealing the secret to his vulnerability. She cut his hair, and his strength was gone. The result was that his enemies easily took him prisoner. The Philistines decided to mock Samson and his God. However, they didn’t know how dangerous it is to mock God...

“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.” (Galatians 6:7 ESV)

Samson prayed: “O Lord God, please remember me and please strengthen me only this once.”

Samson had blown it, yet God answered his prayer and allowed Samson to glorify Him.

1 Lord Jesus, think on me
And purge away my sin;
From worldly passions set me free
And make me pure within.

2 Lord Jesus, think on me,
By anxious thoughts oppressed;
Let me Your loving servant be
And taste Your promised rest.

3 Lord Jesus, think on me
Amid the battle's strife;
In all my pain and misery
O be my health and life.

4 Lord Jesus, think on me
Nor let me go astray;
Through darkness and perplexity
Point out Your chosen way.

5 Lord Jesus, think on me
That, when this life is past,
I may th'eternal brightness see
And share Your joy at last.
(“Lord Jesus, Think on Me,” LSB 910)

Almighty God, I too am a sinner. Yet because of the faith You have given me in Jesus my Savior, I do want to glorify You. Please strengthen me for the daily opportunities You give me to honor You and point others to You. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment