Sunday, April 7, 2024

Monday, April 8, 2024 - THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Monday, April 8, 2024 - Day 99 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: 1 Samuel 1-3; Luke 12:1-34 )

THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN

“And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God, but the one who denies me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.” (Luke 12:8-10 ESV)

A couple of people I met some years ago would be surprised to know that they are guilty of the unforgivable sin. One claimed to be an agnostic and the other stated that she sees good in all religions, after all, “we all serve the same God.” 

Jesus is calling us to genuine Christianity, the belief that “there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name (Jesus) under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12 ESV)

The unforgivable sin, a.k.a. the sin against the Holy Spirit, is the refusal to believe in Christ as Savior. Luther’s explanation to the Third Article of the Apostles’s Creed helps us understand the Spirit’s most crucial work:

I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. 

Those people I met in the past had one thing going for them... They were still alive. They still had a chance to believe in Jesus as their Savior from sin. I encouraged both of them to look at Jesus, to read His words recorded in the gospels, especially John. It is through the Word of God that the Holy Spirit changes minds and leads doubters to Jesus and His precious gifts of forgiveness and heaven.

Delay not, delay not, O sinner, draw near.
The waters of life are now flowing for you.
No price is demanded, the Savior is here,
Redemption is purchased, God’s promise is true. 

Delay not, delay not, O sinner, to come;
For mercy still lingers and calls you today.
Its voice is not heard in the vale of the tomb;
Its message, unheeded, will soon pass away. 

Delay not, delay not! The Spirit of grace,
Long grieved and resisted, may take his sad flight
And leave you in darkness to finish your race,
To sink in the gloom of eternity’s night. 

Delay not, delay not! The hour is at hand;
The earth will dissolve, and the heavens will fade.
The dead, small and great, in the judgment must stand.
What power, then, O sinner, can lend you its aid? 

Delay not, delay not! Why longer abuse
The love and compassion of Jesus, your God?
A fountain is opened; how can you refuse
To wash and be cleansed in his pardoning blood? 
(“Delay Not, Delay Not, O Sinner, Draw Near,” Lutheran Worship #349)

Lord, please protect me and keep my faith strong in Jesus my Savior. Help me to keep my eyes and ears open for others who do not believe in Christ so that You can use me to share the best news they will ever hear. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment