Saturday, April 6, 2024

Sunday, April 7, 2024 - BLESSED BY THE LORD


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Sunday, April 7, 2024 - Day 98 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Ruth 1-4; Luke 11:29-54)

BLESSED BY THE LORD

“May you be blessed by the Lord...” (Ruth 3:10 ESV)

Ruth and her mother-in-law, Naomi, were truly blessed by the Lord even though it did not at first seem so.  Their husbands were dead, and there was no insurance and no Social Security for them.  Yet God had a plan – a plan whereby all of us would be blessed by the Lord through Ruth and Naomi.  You see, one of their descendants would be King David, and his great Descendant would be King Jesus!

“The Book of Ruth relates a beautiful story in the history of King David’s family, illustrating how God guides history for the sake of His people.  He works through suffering and redemption to preserve His people and to welcome the nations.  These aspects of the book point to the birth of Jesus, the world’s Redeemer, who descends from Ruth and Boaz.
Though the Book of Ruth is not a love story, it beautifully illustrates the Lord’s enduring love for you.  As you read Ruth, consider how the Lord calls you to show love and faithfulness to your family and your neighbors, for whom Christ lived and gave His life.”  (Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009, page 423) 

Lord, if Your plan for me today includes hardships, remind me of how You faithfully led Naomi and Ruth, and that You were doing so for the purpose of blessing countless generations through them.  May I, too, be blessed by the Lord this day as You guide and empower me to be faithful and kind to family and friends and all.  In the name of my “kinsman Redeemer,” Jesus.  Amen.

“See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment