Friday, April 12, 2024

Saturday, April 13, 2024 - GOD’S SURPRISING CHOICE


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Saturday, April 13, 2024 - Day 104 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: 1 Samuel 15,16; Luke 14:25-35)

GOD’S SURPRISING CHOICE

And Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel. And Samuel said to Jesse, “The Lord has not chosen these.” Then Samuel said to Jesse, “Are all your sons here?” And he said, “There remains yet the youngest, but behold, he is keeping the sheep.” And Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and get him, for we will not sit down till he comes here.” And he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy and had beautiful eyes and was handsome. And the Lord said, “Arise, anoint him, for this is he.” Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon David from that day forward. (1 Samuel 16:10-13 ESV)

Of Jesse’s eight sons, David was the youngest and the least likely candidate for king. But God had a different idea, leading to His surprising choice. That is how God does things.

On Palm Sunday we saw Jesus enter Jerusalem humbly riding on a donkey. You would think that the King of kings would have ridden a majestic white steed.

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.  (1 Corinthians 1:27-29 ESV)

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your surprising choices – David, Jesus and me. Thank You for choosing a sinner like me to be one of Your children. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow!

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment