Monday, July 11, 2016

July 12, 2016 - GOD’S PROTECTION

 

Day 194 - 2 Kings Tuesday (chapters 6-10)

“‘Don’t be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.’ Then Elisha prayed and said, ‘O Lord, please open his eyes that he may see.’ So the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.” (2 Kings 6:16-17 ESV)

The Syrian king has surrounded the city in an effort to get Elisha. His servant responds with fear. “Alas master, what shall we do?” 

What shall we do when evil surrounds us? 

How do you respond when everything seems to be going wrong for you, when others seem to have it in for you? 

Are you filled with fear? 

In commenting on this section of 2 Kings, Luther said, “It is a great comfort for all Christians to learn from these and other passages of Holy Scripture that they are not forsaken... For they have the dear angels with them as protectors and guards.” (Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009,page 589)

Even though we cannot see them, we have guardian angels watching over us too! In fact, we pray for a protecting angel when we pray Luther’s Morning Prayer.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen. 

What a great way to start today and every day!

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment