Wednesday, July 20, 2016

July 21, 2016 - SILENCE IS GOLDEN


Day 203 - Proverbs Thursday (chapter 11-12)

“Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent. Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.” (Proverbs 11:12-13 ESV) 

In the catechism’s explanation of the Eighth Commandment, we are encouraged to “defend our neighbor, speak well of him, and explain everything in the kindest way.” How are you doing in this area? Can others trust you to keep a confidence? 

This old quote gives us some advice in combating loose tongues:
"If your lips would keep from slips,
Five things observe with care:
Of whom you speak, to whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where."
--from the 19th Century book THE RULES OF CIVILITY

After a sermon on this topic, a mother asked her five year old son “what did the pastor talk about today?” The youngster responded, “I should keep my mouth shut.” May the Lord help you and me to learn that lesson as well!

Lord, please forgive me for the times my words have hurt others. Help me to choose my words wisely, to put the best construction on everything, and to keep my mouth shut when You want me to.  In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment