Sunday, October 2, 2016

October 3, 2016 - YOU PROMISED


Day 277 - Numbers Monday (chapters 29-32)

“If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.” (Numbers 30:2 ESV)

Do you believe everything you hear, read or see? We are often skeptical that what someone is telling us is the truth. Will they really keep their word? In the verse above, Moses is teaching God’s people to keep their promises. How are you doing in the godly task of promise keeping?

I have made three major public promises in my life--my marriage vows, my ordination vows, and my Confirmation vows. I take all three very seriously! However, the most important vow I have ever made was in answer to this question:

Do you intend to continue steadfast in this confession (the Apostles’ Creed) and Church and to suffer all, even death, rather than fall away from it?
My (our) answer was: I do so intend with the help of God.

The second most important vow that day was this:

Do you intend faithfully to conform all your life to the divine Word, to be faithful in the use of God's Word and Sacraments, which are His Means of Grace, and in faith, word, and action to remain true to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, even to death?
We responded: I do so intend by the grace of God.

This is what you and I promised to almighty God, the giver and preserver of our lives. How well are you keeping that vow? Sadly, we all know the answer. We are sinners who desperately need what God freely offers us in His Word and Sacraments.

Heavenly Father, thank You for keeping Your promise to forgive me for my broken vows. I do repent of this sin and renew my intent to keep my Confirmation vows with Your help and by Your grace. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.
Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based. http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment