Wednesday, October 5, 2016

October 6, 2016 - OTHERS


Day 280 - Proverbs Thursday (chapter 28) 

“Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many curses.” (Proverbs 28:27 ESV)

These words of blessings and curses are very clear. Offer someone in need a helping hand and you will be blessed. Don’t, and you won’t be blessed! 

Jesus amplifies those thoughts with these words by encouraging us to focus on others:

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ . . . And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’”  (Matthew 25:34-36, 40 ESV) 

Jesus tells us that we are given the special opportunity to serve Him by serving those in need among us. How are you doing at serving your Jesus?

As always, we must be very clear about the central message of Scripture. Helping others for Jesus does NOT get us into heaven. We are saved by His grace alone, which works saving faith in our hearts. However, as James outlines, faith is never alone. It shows that it is genuine by the work that we do for Jesus.

So, fellow sinners made saints in the blood of the Lamb, let’s get out there and help others in need in every way that we can FOR JESUS!

Lord Jesus, help me to see in the poor and needy around me the opportunity to serve You. Thank You for serving me first by dying on the cross for my salvation. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based. http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment