Saturday, June 3, 2017

June 4, 2017 - THE PROMISED HELPER


Day 155 - 2 Chronicles 13-16 & John 14

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you." (John 14:16-17 ESV)

Today is Pentecost, the day we remember the Holy Spirit, the promised Helper, coming upon the disciples and empowering them to reach the world for Christ. 

The Holy Spirit’s work is crucial for you and your soul. Through Word and Sacrament, the Holy Spirit gives you faith in your Savior, Jesus. He is the One who makes the truths of the Gospel real to you, and thereby guarantees you eternal life. 

The words of the Explanation to the Third Article of the Apostle’s Creed remind us how crucial the Holy Spirit is to each believer, including you.

I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. In the same way He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian church He daily and richly forgives all my sins and the sins of all believers. On the Last Day He will raise me and all the dead, and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ. This is most certainly true. 

The prayer for this morning comes from the hymn “Come, Holy Ghost, Creator Blest.”

Come, Holy Ghost, Creator blest,
And make our hearts Your place of rest; 
Come with Your grace and heav'nly aid
And fill the hearts which You have made.  Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning!

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment