Thursday, January 17, 2019

January 18, 2019 - FAMILY COMMITMENT


Day 18 - (Today’s Bible readings: Ruth 1; Psalm 17; Acts 21:27-36)

But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God.” (Ruth 1:16)

A mother-in-law urges her two widowed daughters-in-law to return to their homes and their families. One refuses to leave and provides words often quoted by some at weddings.

What is at the heart of Ruth’s response is a commitment to her mother-in-law and, thereby, to her married family. However, there is another family connection. We find this connection in Matthew’s account of the lineage of Jesus.

“...and Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse, 6 and Jesse the father of David the king.”  (Matthew 1:5-6) The following verses In Matthew 1 make the direct connection to Jesus.

Jesus shows His commitment to His family, the holy Christian Church, with these words:
“I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.”   (John 10:14-15)

Thank you heavenly Father, for making me part of Your family, the Church. Please bless me with the opportunity for regular family gatherings in worship every week. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment