Tuesday, March 19, 2019

March 20, 2019 - MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE


Day 79 - (Today’s Bible readings: 2 Samuel 11:1-13; Psalm 75; 1Timothy 5:17-6:2)

“It happened, late one afternoon...” (2 Samuel 11:1-13)

King David certainly did not do what he should have done. Instead, he did exactly what he should not have done. Does this sound familiar? King David was guilty of making mistake after mistake.

MISTAKE #1 - Neglect of duty
In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle... David stayed home.

MISTAKE #2 - Idleness led to lust
It happened, late one afternoon... David watched Bathsheba bathing.

MISTAKE #3 - Lust led to sin
David sent for her. Led her into sin...  And the woman conceived.

MISTAKE #4 - Sin led to an attempted cover up
“Send me Uriah the Hittite.”  David calls Bethsheba’s husband home from war.

GREAT FAITHFULNESS - Uriah displays something lacking in his king, moral character.
Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah dwell in booths, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are camping in the open field. Shall I then go to my house, to eat and to drink and to lie with my wife? As you live, and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing.”

What a contrast between the lustful, conniving king and the faithful soldier. While our mistakes (OUR SINS) may differ, all of us are guilty before God of sin and attempts to cover them up. Just how serious is our sinful condition? The hymn writer answers that question with these sobering words as we gaze upon the cross of Christ:

Ye who think of sin but lightly
Nor suppose the evil great
Here may view its nature rightly,
Here its guilt may estimate.
Mark the sacrifice appointed;
See who bears the awful load;
‘Tis the Word, the Lord’s Anointed,
Son of Man and son of God.
(“Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted,” Lutheran Service Book #451)

The downward spiral of sin is a reality in our self-absorbed lives. But there is hope, as we will see in this Friday's devotion - hope in the One whose sacrifice we are to “mark.”

Lord God almighty, I confess that my sins are not merely mistakes, but transgressions of You holy will and Law. As I gaze upon Your Son’s cross, I am broken in spirit because of my guilt. Have mercy on me and grant me forgiveness for the sake of the One who hung on that cross. In the precious and saving name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment