Sunday, March 3, 2019

March 4, 2019 - MOM’S BEST DAY


Day 63 - (Today’s Bible readings: 1 Samuel 31; Psalm 60; 1 Thessalonians 2:1-16)

“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” (Psalm 116:15 ESV)

On the day of her baptism over 103 years ago, the Lord gave my mother a promise. He said, “You will be my child and I will be your God and I will walk with you every day of your life right up to your best day when I walk you into heave.” The picture was taken at the celebration of her 100th birthday over 3 ½ years ago. That was a great day. Yet yesterday was my dear mother’s best day because God kept His promise to her!

Psalm 116:15 states that God looks at death differently than most people do. Yet his words are so true. The death of a believer in Christ is precious to Him and to us. We leave behind all sorrows, pain and disappointment to begin an eternity of peace and joy in the presence of God and all of the other believers who have gone before us.

The hymn writer so aptly describes how it is for us: “We feebly struggle, they in glory shine.” It is hard to know that the woman who sacrificed so very much for me and has loved me unconditionally is no longer with us. Yet I rejoice in the fact that she is in heaven because of her deep and abiding faith in her Savior,  Jesus!

1. I know that my Redeemer lives; 
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, He lives, who once was dead;  
He lives, my ever-living head.

5 He lives to silence all my fears, 
He lives to wipe away my tears,
He lives to calm my troubled heart, 
He lives all blessings to impart.

7. He lives and grants me daily breath; 
He lives, and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare; 
He lives to bring me safely there.
(“I Know That My Redeemer Lives,”  LSB 461)

Thank You, Lord, for confirming Mom’s faith in her Savior and granting her the gift of heaven yesterday. Please keep all of us close to You now by granting that same saving faith to us so that we too can look forward to our best day. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dave, Your Mom was our family's elder stateswoman, and she performed that function with such grace and humility. She was a shining example of what a Godly lady should be. I know she will be missed by so many, and you in particular, but we know our Lord is now her caregiver and friend. You understand this better than most of God's children, yet I know there is a profound personal loss for you. I love and respect you immensely, and I pray with confidence that God is giving you inner peace. With love, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jim, THANK YOU SO MUCH for you very kind words! I do celebrate for Mom and the crown of everlasting life the Lord has bestowed on her. You are right, at the same time I feel a profound loss. It was her tenacious faith that molded my faith and my life. So, in the midst of all this, there is tremendous peace and comfort. I also love and you respect you dear brother! God bless! Dave

    ReplyDelete