Wednesday, March 27, 2019

March 28, 2019 - ARE YOU READY?


Day 87 - (Today’s Bible readings: 2 Samuel 15:16-36; Psalm 82; 2  Timothy 4:1-18)

6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8 ESV)

Paul is coming to the end of his life, and he knows it. Many face the end of their lives either with great fear and trembling or with a stoic acceptance of the end. But not Paul! Ever since the Lord came into his life and his heart on that road to Damascus, Paul was filled with the Spirit-given confidence that he would spend eternity in heaven. ‘Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day.”

What was the secret to his confidence? “I have kept the faith.”

Faith in Christ Jesus as the Savior of the souls of mankind is at the heart of what Paul was all about.
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ... For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” (Romans 5:1 & 6 ESV)

Because Paul had faith in Jesus as his Savior from sin, he was filled with a holy boldness and confidence in the Lord’s guidance, protection and promises. “But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.” (1 Timothy 1:12 ESV) Yes, Paul was ready for his last day knowing that it would be his best day.

How about you? 
Do you believe that Jesus died and rose for you? 
Do you believe that He now offers you the complete forgiveness of all of your sins?
Do you believe that this gracious gift guarantees you eternal life in heaven?

My prayer is that you have a faith like Paul’s, a faith that trusts completely in Jesus!

One more thought - Paul gives us a stern warning not to let those around us rip off our faith. 
“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” (2 Timothy 4:3-4 ESV) 

STAY CLOSE TO YOUR JESUS!

Lord Jesus, thank You for being the Savior of my soul. Please grant me a faith like Paul’s that will sustain me and keep me close to You for the rest of my life. Then, in Your perfect time, grant me the crown of righteousness. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment