Friday, March 29, 2019

March 30, 2019 - GOD’S HOUSE OR...


Day 89 - (Today’s Bible readings: 2 Samuel 16:15-17:14; Psalm 84; Titus 1:1-6)

For a day in your courts is better
    than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of wickedness. (Psalm 84:10 ESV)

The Psalmist is making a clear comparison between being close to the Lord and spending time away from Him. There is not comparison, as Peter declared  when he replied to Jesus with these words: “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6:68-69)

Where else should you be on Sunday morning than God’s house, your church? The treasures God has there for you in His Word and sacraments are better than anything the world has to offer.

1. I love Your kingdom, Lord,
The house of Your abode,
The Church our blest Redeemer saved
With His own precious blood.

2. Beyond my highest joy
I prize its heav'nly ways,
Its sweet communion, solemn vows,
Its hymns of love and praise.

3. I love Your Church, O God,
Your saints in ev'ry land,
Dear as the apple of Your eye,
And graven on Your hand.

4. For them my tears shall fall;
For them my prayers ascend;
For them my cares and toils be giv'n,
Till toils and cares shall end.

5. Sure as Your truth shall last,
To Zion shall be giv'n
The brightest glories earth can yield
And brighter bliss of heav'n.
(“I love Your kingdom, Lord,” Lutheran Service Book #651)

Lord of my life and Lord of the Church, thank You for making me part of Your Church. Please grant me the desire to be close to You on weekly basis. Please use me to invite others to join me in Your house tomorrow. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow!

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment