Thursday, October 19, 2023

Friday, October 20, 2023 - BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Friday, October 20, 2023 - Day 293  - (Today’s Bible readings: Ezekiel 48; Psalm 106:24-48; Hebrews 12:18-29)

BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS 

“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV)

 Moses, who is about to be retired, encouraged the Israelites to face their future with strength and courage. Strength and courage are traits that many would like to have. If you are one of these folks, listen to how this can come about. Number one, don’t worry, the Lord will go with you wherever you go. Number two, He will never turn His back on you.

There is a phrase that many I have had the privilege of serving remember:
Always, always, always, always, always, always, always STAY CLOSE TO YOUR JESUS. 

Our text for today offers us another version:
Never, never, never, never, never, never, never WILL GOD LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU! 

1. O God, forsake me not!
    Your gracious presence lend me;
    Lord, lead Your helpless child;
    Your Holy Spirit send me
    That I my course may run.
    O be my light, my lot,
    My staff, my rock, my shield--
    O God, forsake me not!

2. O God, forsake me not!
    Take not Your Spirit from me;
    Do not permit the might
    Of sin to overcome me.
    Increase my feeble faith,
    Which You alone have wrought.
    O be my strength and pow'r--
    O God, forsake me not!

3. O God, forsake me not!
    Lord, hear my supplication!
    In ev'ry evil hour
    Help me resist temptation;
    And when the prince of hell
    My conscience seeks to blot,
    Be then not far from me--
    O God, forsake me not!

4. O God, forsake me not!
    Lord, I am Yours forever.
    O keep me strong in faith
    That I may leave You never.
    Grant me a blessed end
    When my good fight is fought;
    Help me in life and death--
    O God, forsake me not!
    (“O God, Forsake Me Not,” Lutheran Service Book #731)

Lord, what comfort I find in Your promise to never leave my side. I know that I do not deserve this. Thank You for Your mercy and grace showered upon me through Jesus, my Savior. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

No comments:

Post a Comment