Friday, October 27, 2023

Saturday, October 28, 2023 - GOD WILLING


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Saturday, October 28, 2023 - Day 301  - (Today’s Bible readings: Ezra 7:1-10; Psalm 112; James 4:1-13)

GOD WILLING 

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”  (James 4:13-15 ESV)

It is good to plan ahead. However, we need to remember that we may have our ideas of what tomorrow will bring, but only God really knows what will happen. James makes the point by reminding us that our lives are extremely brief, like a morning mist in Wisconsin.

Jesus got very specific as He attempted to wake up a rich man who was planning to enjoy his accumulated wealth. “Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?” (Luke 12:20 ESV)

A sign on a barn on US 41 heading toward Fond du Lac used to remind us that: “MAN PROPOSES, GOD DISPOSES.” 

Let’s remember Who is in charge, and trust Him completely. After all, since we can trust Him for forgiveness and the gift of eternal life, we can certainly trust Him for the time we have left on this earth. 

  1. I am trusting Thee, Lord Jesus, 
Trusting only Thee;
Trusting Thee for full salvation, 
Great and free.

  2. I am trusting Thee for pardon; 
At Thy feet I bow,
For Thy grace and tender mercy 
Trusting now.

  3. I am trusting Thee for cleansing 
In the crimson flood;
Trusting Thee to make me holy 
By Thy blood.

  4. I am trusting Thee to guide me; 
Thou alone shalt lead,
Ev'ry day and hour supplying 
All my need.

  5. I am trusting Thee for power; 
Thine can never fail.
Words which Thou Thyself shalt give me 
Must prevail.

  6. I am trusting Thee, Lord Jesus, 
Never let me fall.
I am trusting Thee forever 
And for all.
(“I Am Trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,” LSB 729)

Heavenly Father, help me to trust You for all of my tomorrows. Above all, I thank You for guaranteeing my eternal tomorrow through Jesus Christ, my Savior. Amen. 

“See” you in church tomorrow morning!

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment