Monday, October 9, 2023

Tuesday, October 10, 2023 - HOW TO BEGIN YOUR DAY

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Tuesday, October 10, 2023 - Day 283  - (Today’s Bible readings: Ezekiel 38; Psalm 99; Hebrews 9:11-28)

HOW TO BEGIN YOUR DAY

Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. You return man to dust and say, “Return, O children of man!” For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night. (Psalm 90:1-4 ESV)

How do you plan to start your Tuesday? Luther’s Morning Prayer found the beginning of these devotional blogs is how I personally start every day. In our reading for today, the Psalmist gives another excellent reminder. God is God. He is from everlasting to everlasting. He is in charge of everything, including time, and life itself. The hymn writer put it this way:

   With the Lord begin your task; Jesus will direct it. 
   For His aid and counsel ask; Jesus will perfect it. 
   Ev’ry morn with Jesus rise, And when day is ended, 
   In His name then close your eyes; Be to Him commended.
   (“With the Lord Begin Your Task”, Lutheran Service Book, CPH 2006, #869)

Click here to hear the hymn,

Lord, please help me to remember that You are in charge. Please guide me in Your way today and always. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have not power over me. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

No comments:

Post a Comment