Thursday, September 26, 2019

Friday, September 26, 2019 - TEACH ME LORD


Day 270 - (Today’s Bible readings: Joel 3:17-21; Psalm 86; Romans 15:8-21)

“For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,     abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace. In the day of my trouble I call upon you,  for you answer me... Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name.” (Psalm 86:5-7, 11 ESV)

As we get older, we sometimes get the mistaken notion that learning is over. However, due to our sinful nature, learning is never over. We don’t seem to get it. His command is perfection, not even one sinful thought. This is why David is pleading for mercy. He knew well personal days of trouble. He knew his sin. He admitted his sin. He called on the Lord for help. And he prayed: “Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.” 

And what is the Lord’s way? Listen to Jesus: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6 ESV)

The truth we get to “walk in” is the forgiveness of sins and the promise of heaven. However, this “walk” starts with a serious assessment of ones sinful condition. It continues as we “learn of” the good news that Jesus died on the cross for us, paying for every one of our many, many sins.

  Christ be my Teacher in age as in youth,
  Drifting or doubting, for He is the truth.
  Grant me to trust Him; though shifting as sand,
  Doubt cannot daunt me; in Jesus I stand.
 (Christ Be My Leader, Lutheran Service Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2006, #861 stanza 2)

Heavenly Father, thank You for teaching me about my sin and my Savior. Please help me to walk in Your truth. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete