Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Thursday, September 12, 2019 - WANTED DEAD AND ALIVE


Day 255 - (Today’s Bible readings: Hosea 7; Psalm 72; Romans 6:15-23)

Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.  (Romans 6:8-11 ESV)

“Wanted Dead or Alive,” read the old West poster. A reward would be given if a criminal was brought in “dead or alive.”

The Lord wants us both dead and alive. He wants us to be dead to sin and alive to God. He is calling us to repent of our sins and trust in Christ for life today and in eternity.

Since it is the Lord who grants us new life in Christ, the words of the hymn writer form the prayer we need to pray every day.

1 O God, forsake me not! 
Your gracious presence lend me; 
Lord, lead Your helpless child;
Your Holy Spirit send me
That I my course may run.
O be my light, my lot, 
My staff, my rock, my shield--
O God, forsake me not!

2 O God, forsake me not!
Take not Your Spirit from me;
Do not permit the might
Of sin to overcome me.
Increase my feeble faith,
Which You alone have wrought.
O be my strength and pow'r--
O God, forsake me not!

4 O God, forsake me not!
Lord, I am Yours forever.
O keep me strong in faith
That I may leave You never.
Grant me a blessed end
When my good fight is fought;
Help me in life and death--
O God, forsake me not! Amen. 
(“O God, forsake me not!” Lutheran Service Book, #731) 

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings  
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment